Sunday, August 21, 2005

saAmerican Idol 4 Episode Review: Finale

Finale Review
Ok. I am a bit surprised they made Carrie and Bo sing 2 original songs.

Bo Bice: Long Long Road
I actually think this song wasn't as bad as many thought. I got the feeling that he didn't put in too much effort into this song, and kinda gave it up.

Bo Bice: Vehicle
Wow. A great song choice by Bo. This was definitely one of his top-rate performances in 70s dance nite. The arragement for this set was even better. Awesome

Bo Bice: Inside your Heaven
Ok. I never thought this song was ever suited for Bo. Inside your heaven, to me, is not a good pop song. As Bo is, I don;t think he ever felt comfortable doing pop songs, not to mention a poor one. He did a decent job here though.


Carrie Underwood: Inside your Heaven
A couple poor notes. However, this song suits her slightly better than Bo. I can never understand how people can say they prefer Bo's version. But I still think this is a poor song that even Carrie cannot save.


Carrie Underwood: Independence Day
I wasn't too sure about her song choice here. I know she loves Martina, but to me she should have chosen from any of these 4: Alone, Trouble, Bless the Broken Road, or Crying. Indenpendence Day, for me, was just a cut below these four. I preferred her rendition of it in the 90s nite in week 10.

Carrie Underwood: Angels Brought me Here
Wow. Emotionally her best song for the season, even though it sounded a little strained at parts. But with her beautiful vocals and emotion, she won the nite with this performance, promting Simon to annouce those famous words: "Carrie, I think you have done enough to win the show!"

Overall Comments:
I felt somewhat disappointed that the finale did not live up to my expectations. Maybe they were both really nervous, and they was word that both weren't feeling well. I really hope that for next season's finale, they will have them do 3 songs of their own choices instead of doing any original.

Thoughts on Bo:

I must admit I'm not much of a rock guy, but this dude's good. I always prefered when he slowed it down and did the more mellow and sentimental songs, instead of jumping around. Definitely worthy of his place in the finale. Only one criticism I have of him is that I get the feeling that when he doesn't like the genre of the song, he kinda gave up and didn't try. Whenever I compare him doing songs like Vehicle and Great Day to be Alive, to songs from the musicals nite and country theme, there is an obvious difference in effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home