Tuesday, August 16, 2005

American Idol 4 Episode Review: Top 6 --- Songs from 2000 on

Top 6: Songs from 2000 on
Another generic theme, which I believe suits this years singers a lot, since most of them have already defined their style by now.


Carrie Underwood: God Fearing Women get the Blues
Ok, she came out and had fun with the fiddler and guitarist. However, I felt that maybe she knew the song too well and she neglected her vocals. She did have fun and the performance was pretty good, and even on an off night she sounded pretty nice even with a less than stellar effort. However, her strength is in her vocals and she should remember to never throw that away. She was still coughing though, leading me to believe this was more an exception than a norm.

Bo Bice: I Don’t Wanna Be
I love this Gavin Degraw song. Another great performance by Bo to build up on the previous week. Vocally, there was a bad note at the start. He really injected his heart and soul into this one, and enjoyed it as much as Gavin’s version.

Vonzell Solomon: I Turn to You
Another ambitious song choice. She started out really rough, but fromt eh middle third, she nailed the song. I really have to give her props for her ambition.

Anthony Federov: I Surrender
I liked this performance. I felt his emotion in this song, although at the start he sounded a little strained. One of his better performances.

Constantine Maroulis: How You Remind Me
Oh my God. He went back to being a rocker. I absolutely love this song, but he absolutely massacred it. Disappointed he never learned his lessons.

Scott Savol: Dance with my Father Again
Another song that I love, but if Constantine massacred his, Scott butchered this. Pitchy throughout.

Overall comments:
Bo now has the momentum with him, as Carrie has had a few sub-standard weeks by her standards, no thanks to her illness. At this time, it was Bo and Vonzell in the front seat, and Scott and Anthony bringing up the rear. However, with Constantine being such a bonehead by going back to doing rock which he is so poor at, I didn’t mind seeing him go either.

Top 6 rankings:
Bo
Anthony
Vonzell
Carrie
Scott
Constantine (voted off)

Thoughts on Constantine:
I’m sorry I have to call him a bonehead. After wowing the show with his crooning style, he reverted back to his old rock-image which Randy and Simon REPEATEDLY told him not to do. I really think he had a good shot at winning if he had heeded their advice. But no, he made such a boneheaded play, I really did not pity him when he left. The show is all about finding out who you are. Carrie, Bo, Vonzell and even Scott know what are the kind of songs they should sing. On a side note, I thought I saw Bo with a slight smirk on his face when Constantine was performing after the announcement was made. Maybe Bo was thinking he could relax as we all know who will be the next 2 to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home