Sunday, August 14, 2005

American Idol 4 Episode Review: Top 8 --- Songs from the year you were born in

Top 8: Songs from the year you were born in
After the previous week’s horror, I am glad they chose a more generic theme.

Nadia Turner: When I Dream
What a boring song choice! I thought I was transported back to the previous week! Very forgettable indeed. I started looking at the other stuff in my room.

Bo Bice: Free Bird
I know he likes Lynard Skynard, but I wasn’t too crazy about this song choice. Not a memorable performance. However, compared to last week’s horror, much better.

Anwar Robinson: I’ll Never Love this Way Again
Why does he keep picking diva songs? To me, another poor song choice. I believe that viewers really began to get less excited about him. What a pity for such a nice smooth voice.

Anthony Federov: Everytime You Go Away
Ok. I love this song. I was ready to hammer him… But, he actually does a good job! I still prefer the original, but this was hot. Vocally his best by a mile. He injected the right emotion into the song as well.

Vonzell Solomon: Let’s Hear it for the Boy
A nice up-tempo song. This to me, is her style, rather than the power ballads she had been attempting in previous weeks. This showed off her effervescence. The range and key for the song was spot on for her. Almost perfect, plus the fun element.

Scott Savol: She’s Gone
Started out really weak, problem especially with the lower register, which continued throughout. Pitch on high notes was off. Lost me very quickly.


Carrie Underwood: Love is a Battlefield
Very ambitious choice, Pat Benetar to me is incomparable. She was definitely pitchy on some of the notes. Performance-wise she showed some energy, and appeared exhausted at the end! Apparently, she messed up the words, but if Randy didn’t say it, I think noone would have realized. As it turned out, she was sick.

Constantine Maroulis: Bohemian Rhapsody
Another great performance! Simply magical the way he worked the stage. The only downside was the theatrics were a little over the board for me. As long as he stays away from the hard-rock image, he will do well.

Overall comments:
To me, after 2 magical performances, Constantine shot up the favorites list. Vonzell remained consistently good. Carrie had her first poor show, and I began to wonder if Bo wanted to win the competition at all. Anwar slipped out of my favorites list. Nadia and Scott were the weakest tonight. I wouldn’t be surprised if either of them went.

Top 8 rankings:
Constantine
Vonzell
Anthony
Anwar, Carrie
Bo
Scot
Nadia (voted off)

Thoughts on Nadia:
I always felt that she was limited vocally, and would have to pick the right songs for herself to remain long in the show. She didn’t this week and therefore got the boot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home