Thursday, August 11, 2005

American Idol 4 Episode Review: Top 11 --- Billboard Number Ones

Top 11: Billboard number ones
This theme, in my opinion, should be chosen every season. A whole list of number one songs to choose from. Could the singers improve on the previous week’s performance?

Anthony Federov: Waiting for Me
Ok, first I need to comment on those dance moves, which horrified me a lot. Had a few bum notes on the lower range. This was certainly better than the previous week. If the previous week as karaoke, this was a boyband; nothing fantastic but decent enough.


Carrie Underwood: Alone
Started out with some minor problems on the lower register, but once she hit the power notes, I was WOW! I really liked Heart’s version, but Carrie’s was hotter! This song showed her weakness (lower range), and strength (higher, power notes). She was dressed like a diva too! Certainly a performance for the memories. Amazing that she could still improve vocally.

Scott Savol: Against All Odds
Listening to him, I must admit he really has a nice voice. Not sure about the strip act though, which spoiled an otherwise strong vocal performance. It’s a pity that his personality and looks are not better.

Bo Bice: Time in a Bottle
This was a changeup thrown by Mr Bice. A nice change of pace for the rocker, but not a devastating one. It was nice to see a different side of him, and I had a little more respect for Bo as a musician after this.

Nikko Smith: Incomplete
This is his style: modern R&B! He certainly has the moves and voice for this genre! I loved this performance. But one criticism: get rid of those glasses! It would be difficult to connect with the audience without the eye contact. Vocally, he did have a few bad notes.

Vonzell Solomon: Best of My Love
I really liked the energy Vonzell brought along with this performance. Vocally, she doesn’t have the power of AI3’s Latoya London. More up-tempo songs, instead of pwer ballads, would suit her more.

Constatine Maroulis: I Think I Love You
Hmmm… A weird performance for me. However, the way he stares and pouts for the camera will make his target audience go crazy. When I compare him with Bo though, I prefer Bo by a mile. Very very weird performance.

Nadia Turner: Time After Time
She was certainly the best last week, but she fell flat on her face with this. For me, this proved what I thought about her: that she is limited vocally. This week, to me, exposed this. I started thinking of the original version of the song very soon. The only thing memorable was the giant Mohawk.

Mikalah Gordon: Love Will Lead You Back
This was a toned down performance which killed her only strength: personality. Enough said.

Anwar Robinson: Ain’t Nobody
What is Anwar thinking of doing a song by a diva like Chaka Khan??? I felt weird throughout the whole performance. To me, this is the disadvantage guys have compared to girls: guys can’t do songs by female divas; on the other hand, girls can get away doing songs sung by guy crooners.

Jessica Sierra: Total Eclipse of My Heart
Like Carrie, some problem with the lower range (as the season unfolded, this problem surfaced for many of the singers). Once she kicked into the power vocals, it was plain sailing.

Overall comments:
A great show. Well, what else could be expected with 11 number one hits? Carrie and Jessica were by far, the standouts of the week. Mikalah had to go home after this.

Top 11 performance rankings:
Carrie
Jessica
Vonzell
Scott
Bo
Nikko
Anwar
Constantine
Anthony
Nadia
Mikalah (voted off)

Thoughts on Mikalah:
To me, it was a travesty she made it to the final 12. She has absolutely no voice. But I think she could make a career hosting some crazy show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home