Monday, August 15, 2005

American Idol 4 Episode Review: Top 7 --- 70's dance

Top 7: 70s dance nite
Urgh again. Well, this is just me perhaps, as I don’t really like dance music.

Constantine Maroulis: Nights on Broadway
I really like that he ditched the rocker style and become a more seductive crooner. This wasn’t as electrifying as the previous two weeks (slightly amateurish), but he ended with that almighty pout of his as usual!


Carrie Underwood: MacArthur Park
Was pretty rough at the start with the low notes, and she really appeared uncomfortable with the theme. As usual, once the power notes kick in, she nailed it. And the last few notes left the audience in awe! Not sure about her shuffling from side to side though.

Scott Savol: Everlasting Love
Hmmm… I began to think of the original song very quickly! There were definitely some bad notes throughout, and it was weird seeing him attempt some dance moves.

Anthony Federov: Don’t Take Away the Music
I think of Simon’s Christmas party analogy when I saw this performance, and his vocals sounded pretty strained.

Vonzell Solomon: I’m Every Woman
Baby V takes on another diva again. I felt the background singers drown her, especially at the start. On those parts I could hear, Vonzell was great as usual, and really nailed those big notes.

Anwar Robinson: September
This for once, at least I thought initially, was a great song choice for Anwar. I was waiting for him to nail those high notes, but he never tackled them! He left those notes to the background singers. I was very disappointed he didn’t tackle them. To me, what could have been a powerhouse performance became another Anwar performance, nice vocally but not terribly memorable.

Bo Bice: Vehicle
Finally he is back! Maybe being in the bottom 2 the previous week woke him up. The arrangement was brilliant. He outshone the rest of the show by a mile.

Overall comments:
Ok, I didn’t really like the theme, and I think there were a lot of safe performances. No one was terrible though; but Bo was clearly the best. Maybe after the scare in the previous week he woke up and realized he wanted to win the show.

Top 7 rankings:
Bo
Vonzell
Anwar (voted off)
Carrie
Constantine
Scott
Anthony

Thoughts on Anwar:
Being the music teacher he is, he was technically the best singer. However, his song choices left him in a terrible situation. He’d either pick songs that have been performed too many times on AI, or he would tackle on the divas. I remembered his breakout performance of ‘”What a Wonderful World” in the semis, and that made him an early favorite. The problem was that that was his most memorable by a mile. I a sense I don’t think he should have left so early, but he can only blame himself for his song selection that left the audience a little cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home