Wednesday, August 17, 2005

American Idol 4 Episode Review: Top 5 --- Leiber and Stoller Classics and Week’s Billboard charts

Top 5: Leiber and Stoller Classics and Week’s Billboard charts
I really liked the way the producers chose the two themes. One classic hits and one contemporary hits to allow the singers to show off their talent.

Round 1: Leiber and Stoller classics

Anthony Federov: Poison Ivy
Urgh!!! This performance really put me off. Extremely amateurish and reminded me of someone trying to be funny at a freshmen orientation event.

Scott Savol: On Broadway
Scotty taking on a George Benson classic! George’s version is definitely better, but Scott made it his own. He had a few pitch problems, but he stepped it up, as if to prove Simon a point (about his comments to pack his suitcase previously).

Vonzell Solomon: Treat Me Nice
Not a song that I have ever heard of. Vocally she does well, but I’m not sure about the way she moved about on stage.

Bo Bice: Stand by Me
I have heard this song too many times all over the place. But Bo magically made me love it again! I actually prefer him doing this kind of song rather than the rock stuff he normally does.


Carrie Underwood: Trouble
Oh yea, she’s back! This was an unbelievable performance, her best all-round yet. This was a great sassy song for her to show off some attitude which had been a bit lacking up till this point. Vocally, she was great, and tackled those low notes (which she sometimes had problems with in the past). The mic stand kick drove me crazy! The only drawback I have is seeing the sweet girl up there singing the words: “looking for trouble? My middle name’s misery! I’m EVIL EVIL EVIL!”

Round 1 rankings:
Carrie
Bo/ Vonzell
Scott
Anthony

Round 2: Week’s Billboard charts

Anthony Federov: Incomplete
Urgh again!!! Pitch was all over the place. Slight upgrade from round one.

Scott Savol: Everytime You Go Away
Tackling a Brian McKnight song! I love Brian and this showed that Brian is the professional and Scott, a wannabe. Scott did OK, but probably put a lot of viewers off with his post performance chatter with Simon.

Vonzell Solomon: When You tell Me that You Love Me
Oh no! That cheesy group song. This was by far, her most pitchy and weakest vocal performance. I was scratching my head as to why she chose this song.

Bo Bice: Heaven
I really like his song choices!I like the original, but love Bo’s just as much! I never thought I would ever say this, but if Bo produces a record with similar songs, I may actually buy it!


Carrie Underwood: Bless the Broken Road
Ah! I love this Rascal Flatt’s song. She made me fall in love with it even more. Vocally, it was flawless. This song showcased her sweet vocals perfectly. The key change in the middle was done brilliantly. Only drawback was that she was a little stiff, although not “robotic” as Simon claimed.

Round 2 rankings:
Carrie
Bo
Scott
Vonzell
Anthony

Overall comments:
This was Carrie's! This week show her versatility, her personality and amazing voice all in one. I remembered when I watched this live, I absolutely fell in love with Carrie and from then on, knew she was going to win, with Bo in the final. On a side note, after a relatively week nite by her standards, Vonzell had Simon clamoring for her fans to vote harder for her! I think he wanted to make sure that Carrie, Bo and Vonzell would make it to the next round! My vote was for Anthony to go home, although I wouldn’t be surprised if Scott went after his comments to Simon.

Top 5 rankings:
Carrie
Bo
Vonzell
Scott (voted off)
Anthony

Thoughts on Scott:
I always thought he had a nice voice, but a 5th place finish was too high for him. I never liked his personality. We already had a taste of it in the Hollywood auditions when he was difficult to work with for the group performance. Also, some of his chats with Simon were really more over-confident than confident.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home