Saturday, August 20, 2005

American Idol 4 Episode Review: Top 3 --- Clive Davis’, singer’s own, judges’ choices

Top 3: Clive Davis’, singer’s own, judges’ choices
I think this is now the staple of the top 3: a song choice by Clive Davis, they get to pick one themselves, and a judge chooses another for them.

Round 1: Clive Davis’choice

Vonzell Solomon: I’ll Never Love This Way Again
Again she started pitchy. I’m really scratching my head over her regression. But it was better than Anwar, who did the song in an earlier round. Vonzell did end with a bang. Dionne still owns this.

Bo Bice: Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
Nice choice by Clive. I really believe that this is the style Bo should go more into. Definitely held his own with Elton John and George Michael.


Carrie Underwood: Crying
I remember being ecstatic when I heard Clive’s choice. A great Roy Orbison classic. Her vocals were open, almost flawless. She also put the right emotion in it too, and found myself sitting on my couch in awe. Unfortunately, the song was too short, and I was left wanting more.

Round 1 rankings:
Carrie
Bo
Vonzell

Round 2: Singer’s choice

Vonzell Solomon: Chain of Fools
Another uptempo song, which really suits her. Vocally still not as good as previous weeks, but she was fun and infectious.

Bo Bice: In a Dream
Bo gambled by doing this acapella. He really put his heart and soul into this performance, and nailed it, apart from that last note at the end. To me, he booked his place in the final with this, as everyone was impressed by his bravery.


Carrie Underwood: Making Love out of Nothing at All
Interesting song choice for me, for her to pick a pop song instead of a country song. I think she wanted to appeal to a wider audience. Another great vocal performance, although Crying was better. Right song choice for her to power up her voice and show it off. Well done. I preferred it to Air Supply’s version.

Round 2 rankings:
Bo
Carrie
Vonzell

Round 3: Judge’s choice

Vonzell Solomon: On the Radio
Great song choice by Simon. Vocally, her best of the night. Again, another great uptempo song suited for her personality.

Bo Bice: Satisfaction
Urgh! Horrible song choice by Paula, and she confirmed what I thought all season: she doesn’t know much about music. I remember screaming in agony when the song was announced. This made Bo jump around so much that he couldn’t care much about the vocals. I have to agree with Simon’s wedding analogy with this.


Carrie Underwood: Man! I Feel Like a Woman
Urgh! A poor choice by Randy. This requires a slightly vampish, even slutty performer. I just couldn’t picture Carrie doing this. Vocally, it was really rough at the start, but once she hit the power notes, it was smooth sailing. An interesting note: apparently this is the first time Shania Twain ever allowed her songs to be used on AI.

Round 3 rankings:
Vonzell
Bo, Carrie

Overall comments:
Bo definitely booked his place with that brave acapella performance. Personally, I don’t think it was as great as everyone made it out, but it was very good none the less. Both Bo and Carrie definitely deserved to be in the final. Vonzell really faded away for me from the top 5 on. On a side note, Simon’s choice was excellent, while I hated Paula’s and Randy’s.

Top 3 rankings:
Bo, Carrie
Vonzell

Thoughts on Vonzell:
She always picked the toughest song to sing. And although she was very strong from the start, she seemed to lose it from the top 5 on. Maybe something happened to her in her personal life, as she mentioned she had a tough day during the top 5 show. Overall, she finished where she should: 3rd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home