Saturday, December 31, 2005

Carrie Underwood: Chasing Faith (article from the music edge)

http://www.themusicedge.com/moxie/news/featartist/carrie-underwood-letting-.shtml

On the road and away from home, soft-spoken Carrie Underwood laughs as she recalls her embarrassing moment of the day: falling off the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade float in front of The Click Five during rehearsal. “I felt really dumb, but I laughed really hard about it, and so did they, so it all turned out fine,” she says. Discussing life in the fast lane, superstardom, and the roller-coaster ride of emotions and experiences taking hold of her in the aftermath of American Idol, she celebrates the release of her debut album, Some Hearts, and graciously thanks everyone for the opportunities she’s been given. Anticipating spending time with her family for the holidays and enjoying the Thanksgiving feast waiting for her at home, we casually chat over the phone as she looks forward to her performance at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

After high school Carrie, a Checotah, Okla. native, traveled from her humble upbringing to Northeastern University where she studied Mass Communications. With her plans carved out in one direction and hopes of a career in media looming on the horizon, fate quickly revealed a different path for Carrie in music. Armed with her mom and a beautiful voice, she hopped on a plane to tryout for American Idol. Carrie quickly captured the hearts of the judges and of America, as the down-to-earth, country young woman won American Idol in May of 2005, and began the next step of her career as a pop/country singer.

Signed to Arista Records, Some Hearts, featuring the hits “Jesus Take the Wheel,” “Some Hearts” and “Inside Your Heaven” collectively creates a warm blend of ballads built on country influences and life themes, with a healthy mix of catchy pop and radio-friendly songs. Carrie’s song compilation ranges from her experiences in love, her transformation from the country to the city, and the pangs and rewards of discovering herself. Some Hearts lays it all on the table and showcases a compassionate Carrie wearing her heart on her sleeve. With Some Hearts debuting at #2 on the charts (falling #2 to Madonna’s latest release) and selling close to 315,000 copies within the first week, clearly Carrie has touched more than just “some hearts.”

As for the songs on the album itself, listening to “Jesus Take the Wheel,” is enough to bring a tear to your eye and cause you to reconsider if what you do in life truly counts. “Lessons Learned” hits home for anyone who has experienced tough “growing pains” and been grateful for the hand life has dealt them (taking in the bad with the good), whereas the slightly more twangy and backup-vocal influenced “Before He Cheats” gives the listener a glimpse at the side of Carrie you would never want to cross, as the lyrics are laced with revenge and satisfaction. In the end, Some Hearts is a keepsake album for any music lover. Sure, some of the piano sequences sound a little formulaic, and for a moment it may feel predictable, but it might surprise you, as it gives the “American Dream” tangibility. As a fan of country music, I was taken aback and fell in love with the album. As a skeptic of American Idol, I was proven wrong, as now both Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson have already hit mainstream music full-steam ahead; the two female artists are attesting to be some of the purest and most talented female vocalists in the music scene today. Full of unifying stories and common emotions that bind humanity together, Some Hearts has definitely made its home in my CD player and won’t be leaving there anytime soon.

With her post-Idol resume continuing to grow, and a Skecher’s ad campaign under her belt, Carrie recently made it home with three Billboard Awards for 2005. She continues to generate buzz with her latest performance at the two-time Emmy nominated program “Christmas in Washington,” performing with Ciara and Rascall Flatts for the President, First Lady and other Washington, D.C., VIPs. As 2005 comes to a close, Carrie relays that she is just as pumped up about 2006 as she was about 2005, and looks forward to more success, more fun and more fans.

The Music Edge: So you started singing in church as a young child; how has your experience as a singer changed throughout the years?
Carrie: I mean, I did stuff like talent shows when I was younger; it was mostly a lot of local events, fairs and stuff like that, but it didn’t really go anywhere until I found American Idol.

TME: In addition to singing, you can also play the guitar. How old were you when you learned how to play?
Carrie: Right, I think I was a junior in high school when I started playing the guitar, and I’ve been playing ever since.

TME: Did you take lessons at school, or just learn on your own?
Carrie: I learned some on my own, and then I had a teacher for a couple of months that taught me the basics, and then it just developed into a hobby from there on out.

TME: I remember reading that you know how to yodel. That’s not a talent you hear of everyday—how did you learn how to yodel?
Carrie: I was in a musical group during college, and we did different-style shows over the summer, and for my first show they had me do “Cowboy Sweetheart,” which has yodeling in it, and I was like, “Oh, well guys, I don’t know if I can do that,” but I did, and I learned how to yodel, and it was a great experience.

TME: Sounds fun. So your favorite singer is Martina McBride—do you have any other favorites?
Carrie: Yeah, of course, I love Trisha Yearwood and Reba McIntire. I like Garth Brooks, and Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley—

TME: Oh I love Brad Paisley—
Carrie: (Giggles.) I know, isn’t he great?

TME: He sure is. Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
Carrie: I have a lot of those. I was fortunate enough to be raised in a family that listens to all different kinds of music, so I listen to oldies from my parents and people like the Bee Gees, and Creedance Clearwater Revival and the Rolling Stones. And then my sisters were quite a bit older than me, they were teenagers when I was little, so I caught the whole eighties hair band thing too. I mean, for myself, I of course listen to country music and everything that is popular now, and lots of rock music. I have a lot of influences—there are just too many to name off right now.

TME: What was the defining moment that made you decide to audition for American Idol?
Carrie: It was pretty much on a whim, kind of like why not? I even told my mom, “No, I don’t know, it’s too far away, it’s stupid, I won’t make it anyway,” and she was just like, “Carrie, seriously, if you want to go I’ll take you.” So we did it, and here we are.

TME: Wow. What was the selection process like?
Carrie: Long, very long. At first it was thousands of people, so we were just pretty much hauled everywhere like cattle, and as things got narrowed down it got a little more nerve-wracking, but it all turned out well in the end.

TME: I’d say so.
Carrie: Yeah, me too.

TME: Where do you find inspiration for your songs?
Carrie: Anywhere I can. Pretty much when I’m picking out songs, I’ll listen to one, and if it makes me feel something, then chances are it’s a good song.

TME: Do you have a specific song-writing process?
Carrie: Honestly, I don’t write that much myself. It’s definitely something I want to explore more and do more of in the near future, but things just kind of hit you, I think. I mean, you might be in a conversation and say something and be like, “Oh, that would be a good idea for a song.” I really think inspiration can come from anywhere and everywhere.

TME: What was your recording experience for Some Hearts like?
Carrie: It was fun; I really like being in the studio. I feel at home there. It’s a really intimate experience, just because it’s just you in a studio singing, closed off from everyone.

TME: What advice would you give to aspiring young musicians?
Carrie: Most definitely take chances and risks, and follow your dreams. But also have a back-up plan. Make sure not to cheat yourself of an education because having an education is important. Have other things that you can do as well because that’s just a smart thing to do.

(this is an awesome piece of advice!)

TME: Sounds like good advice. What does making music mean to you?
Carrie: It’s really great; it’s a fulfilling way to express myself. I’ve got a pretty cool job. I love what I do.

TME: What did you want to grow up to be when you were little? Did you want to be a rock star when you were little?
Carrie: Probably if you had asked me what I had wanted to be, that’s what I would have said. As I got older though, my practical side told me everyone wants to do that, and very few people actually get the chance. So I did prepare for another future, which I don’t regret at all.

TME: Has American Idol changed you?
Carrie: I hope it hasn’t changed me too much. Of course my daily activities are different, but I still hope I’m the same friend, the same daughter and the same sister that I always was.

TME: Has your success changed your relationships at all with your friends and family?
Carrie: Yeah, I mean, it is difficult to be a good friend when you’re on the go so much, and my parents are constantly wondering what I’m up to. I think it’s been hard on my mom for me to be so far away, but we’re all coping.

TME: What was the most rewarding part of the experience?
Carrie: I found out a lot about myself throughout the experience. Especially being out now, I’m not ever alone; there are always people around me, people helping me. But I mean as far as being away from family, I’ve learned that I can be an independent person.

TME: Of course. Was there a most challenging part that came along with that?
Carrie: Same thing. Being away from home. Things are scary, especially being out and going so many places; you never know what is going to happen. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year, and I’m the type of person that likes to plan things out, so it’s been kind of difficult to just let go and go with the flow.

TME: What is in store for you next?
Carrie: There are a lot of different events coming up. We want to make sure people go out and buy my album, so we’re going out everywhere, and I’ve been on a lot of T.V. shows and stuff like that. Next spring we’re looking at who else is going on tour, to see who I could possibly be on a bill with. So, there’s a lot to look forward to, no time for slowing down now.

TME: What did you learn most from the experience?
Carrie: That I am the luckiest person ever. I mean cool things happen, and it’s all about taking chances and not being scared of what the future could hold. If you do that and follow your heart then everything can just fall into place just right, and you’ll be surprised at how things can turn out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home